Updated: 1/30/2014- I will be providing an update on my daughter’s hair within the next week!
Problem: My daughter’s hair was brittle, dry and would not grow on the sides or back.
Background:In 2008 my life changed forever. I became a mother to a daughter and from that point on I have become obsessed with her hair and how to make sure it is healthy. My daughter (commonly referred to as Little Mama) has “super dry” hair so any products I would use in her hair would literally be soaked up in a matter of hours. So early on (and after using many products) I have found the Holy Grail products that not only make her hair grow but keep her hair moisturized!
Points to remember about toddler’s hair:
- Purchase a wide tooth and a fine tooth comb to comb their hair. I make it a point to use the bigger comb when I am going through her hair and then the smaller tooth comb when I am combing out sections.
- Watch out for strain around the edges and back of the nape.
- Test products on yourself before applying them on her!
- Be consistent…if you are only doing the baby’s hair once a week then you can not expect for their hair to improve.
Hair Regimen Solution:
1. Shampoo- I wash her hair every two weeks. I found that washing it on a weekly basis made her hair even drier. After using a variety of really expensive (and cheaper) products I have settled on two:
Organic Root Stimulator Uplifting Shampoo or the Palmer’s Coconut Oil Conditioning Shampoo.
- I use both of these for different reasons. The Organic Root Stimulator cleans her hair without stripping any moisture and it allows me to get any hard to rinse hair product residue out. The Palmer’s is great if you do not have a lot of product to wash out of your hair. It leaves her hair so soft and it smells good! Both products are UNDER $5.00 at your local Beauty Supply Store!
I also use some of these equally good products:
- Bee Mine Avocado Conditioner
- Doris Haircare Extreme Deep Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner- I have to use a l.i.c. (leave in conditioner) in her hair. If I forget I find that her hair is dry and brittle. While trying to find one that worked on her hair I ran into some really CRAPPY ones but were super expensive! I know use the following product(s) on her hair.
- Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner–this is the BOMB! It keeps her hair soft and manageable and is all natural.
1. Creme of Nature Lemongrass and Rosemary Leave in Conditioner
2.Curls Lavish Conditioner
Now here is where it gets tricky/controversial. I use grease for her scalp. Yes, I admit it..and grease helps her scalp stay moisturized and conditioned. I know there are bloggers who are cringing but I use it for her so #POW! And besides natural hair is known to be drier than other hair types so grease allows her scalp to stay healthy.
Grease: After applying the leave in conditioner over her hair I lightly coat her entire scalp with grease. When I say lightly I mean lightly.The following products are just as good as any expensive grease/ hair dressing!.I get a quarter size of the following products:
- Royal Crown Hair dressing–this stuff has been around since the 1960s and I see why. With her scalp flaking I used this when she first had braids and instantly her scalp was 10x better! It is under $2.00 and when used sparingly it is perfect for little girls with dry scalp. Plus the product lasts forever, I have kept my bottle for at least 6 months!
- Sulfur 8 Hair Conditioner Creme- this stuff has also been around for a while. Every (older) person that I went to about Little Mama’s hair NOT growing recommended Sulfur 8 but all I could think of was that heavy sulfur smell. (I could not do that to my baby) However, I went into my local Wal Mart and found they have a light grease (that smells great) that retails for under $3.00! Almost instantly her hair in the back and sides began to grow!
Daily Hair Dressing: Now my baby girl wears her hair in braids, pony tails, afro puffs, mini afros..you name it she wears it. So I needed something that I could use on a daily basis that would moisturize without leaving a buildup! I used one really expensive brand and I was so disgusted I gave it away! #goodbye … About 6 months ago, I finally found a product that works for her:
- Doris New York Olive Oil- this is like GOLD in a bottle! From the moment I began to use it(and the other products on a consistent basis) I noticed a difference in her moisture level right away. Her hair was not longer brittle…even days after me washing it! In the morning if her hair was a little parched I could put some on her hair and it was instantly back to life. I could even go multiple days without putting it on her hair and it still looked great! I know some people may mumble about the price ($17.00) but I wasted more than that when I was constantly buying CRAP. This stuff is golden! Read my review .
This is my routine for her hair..and it shows in the results. Her hair has literally grown 2-3 inches in the back in about a 6 month time period! Her hair no longer looks dry and brittle, she has sides and EVERYONE wants to know what I did! Do you want to know what the best part is? It usually takes me only 10 minutes every morning to comb, brush and apply the Doris Olive Oil to her hair then style and we are out the door!