{Behind the Blogger} How I Cut My Grocery Bill by $150!

7.  I became strategic and methodical about the sales offered at my local supermarket. Now don’t get me wrong..all because I do not shop a lot at my local markets alot does not mean  I do not research their weekly sales and take advantage of them. For example, Publix had a sale on Goldfish crackers for 1.00 a bag two weeks ago. I went into the store and got at least 10 bags..just for a rainy day. Then I noticed that jar of an expensive brand of Fettuccine Alfredo sauce was BOGO free with one retailing for $1.50..needless to say I bought a bunch of those. Whatever the sale is in the paper, I look to see if we eat the food and if it’s a “go” I buy it–even if I do not use it immediately.

1/2 of my $75 grocery haul

The other half of my $75 haul

All of these things allow me to have a super cheap grocery bill..Just today I went to the Farmer’s Market and spent $75 on a TON of vegetables and some meat! I have been using this method for about a year and ever since I started to do this my bill is cut in half! Now what do you do to save money at the grocery store? Have you tried any of these methods?

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed “runnergirl”. Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed "runnergirl". Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .
This entry was posted in Featured, Talking Tuesdays. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to {Behind the Blogger} How I Cut My Grocery Bill by $150!

1. kita says:

Loving this. I usually buy groceries once a week because I always run out of staple items by the end of the week and it's easier to plan out a menu for one week rather than 2. I use to spend 175 a week on the 4 of us but I have cut that down to 125 a week. I also have stopped buying a lot of red meat which I noticed cost a lot of money. When I stopped buying the red meat my grocery bill fell down to 125 a week. Coupons are not working for me because like you said you can't find any for the things you eat. I love the farmers market I go every other month to stock up on meats and they are way cheaper than the local grocery store.

• Kita..i get all of my staples off top..the first week I just replenish any staples items I need..then I get started on my meat then veggies and fruits.. You can do it!

2. Cindy says:

Yes, loved this. I do most of everything you mentioned. Really looking into the Community Foods program. I am alos about to join a co-op. Will let you know more about it soon. I am going to do a blog. Thanks for sharing.

3. Great post! I used to plan out my meals a week in advance, but I've been slacking lately. I've got to get back on track!
    My recent post As Seen In My Life: In Grandma’s Hands

4. Cassie NewLife NewMe says:

This post is right on time! I went to Dekalb Farmers Market this week for the 1st time in about 8 years. I spent $87.00 and brought home a ton of stuff. In your blog you mentioned a service here in Atlanta that buys meat from a local, organic farm for almost half the cost if you purchased it in a Supermarket. What service is that? Is there a website or phone number that you can provide?

• I saw you getting advice about going! THat's my spot! I go once every 2 weeks!!! I will send you a FB message about Community Foods! I go pick up mine from Douglasville!

5. K. Rock says:

I do pretty much all of this right now! I am interested in the community foods program you mentioned but I need to get a deep freezer first. I have no where to keep that much meat. I find I do a whole lot better financially when i actually plan my meals and dont just buy stuff blindly. And my husband loves it when I plan meals because I am always trying something new.
    My recent post Water Run

6. Rhonda says:

Great article and wonderful tips!

7. Lots of great tips. I really need to start planning my meals.
    My recent post First Lost Tooth

8. glossedmimi says:

I am going to start going to the farmers market. There isn't a good one close to me so I am going to hav to make a trek to th Dekalb markt and see how it works out fo rme. Thanks for sharing.

9. Doreen says:

I'm not sure if it's my iPad, but I can't find the link to the article. (found you on sits)
    My recent post Flea Market Friday

10. misssrobin says:

Wonderful tips. We have five kids, 13-21, so our grocery bill is pretty big. The two things that help the most for me are planning our meals out a week ahead and buying fresh food over processed. (Why don't we learn that growing up?) Now you've definitely got me wanting to hit the farmer's market.

Stopping by from SITS. Have a great weekend.
    My recent post I WILL Change the World

11. hannahviolin says:

My parents have always done similar things with a deep freezer, but as part of a married couple with no kids, it hasn't made sense for us yet. I'm sure we will down the line when we have more storage space and perhaps a kid ;) Great post!
    My recent post Caturday 6/30

12. Nice to stumble upon another Atlanta blogger! They seem to be popping up everywhere! Great tips! I'd also love to hear about Community Food.
    My recent post {Review} The Couponizer

13. {Melinda} I'm always looking for ways to cut my grocery bill. I particularly like your idea about snacks. It saves money and gets them eating healthier. I know my kids will squak, but they'll get used to it. :)

Visiting from SITS!
    My recent post Saturday Morning Fantasies: Capes Optional

14. Laura says:

My favorite tip is the snack tip. Great idea. Stopping by from Sharefest.