Whose Your Role Model? Hopefully Not These Women

image courtesy of Vibe Magazine

I saw this magazine cover the other day and literally almost vomited in my mouth. No, I wasn’t offended by the scantily clad women on the front of the magazine, but I was appalled with the accompanying headline, “Meet Your New Role Models”. This headline is from the cover story about the bad girls of reality television, namely Chrissy Lampkins  (Hip Hop Wives), Evelyn Lozada (Basketball Wives), Tamar Braxton (The Braxtons) and Kandi (The Real Housewives of Atlanta) and how they are basically taking over television. Now for someone who does not watch reality television might not have any idea WHO these ladies are, but I from one not only know them but am CERTAIN they could NEVER be a role model foe ME or MY daughter.

You see these women represent the stereotype of African American women in reality television. These women are money hungry, violent, vile mouth chicks who don’t stand for anything I want my daughter to emulate. On television you better believe they wear the hottest fashions and carry all of the expensive bags but if their character is determined by their actions, then these ladies should be committed to a mental institute.

As a mother of a daugter and with the line of work I am in, I am careful about the images I present to my child. I make sure that she understands that yes she’s beautiful but there’s so much more to her. She’s intelligent, she’s caring, she’s a critical thinker and more importantly she’s to be respected and give an equal amount of repect when dealing with others. Never is she to bully anyone or think it’s okay to be a “mean girl”. All of these things I SHOW my daughter because right now she’s three and has no idea about the ugly side of people that can rear it’s head in arguments. As a child my mother did an excellent job of teaching me and my younger sister that you should NEVER want to be LIKE ANYONE else.  She showed us how to treat people and that’s why today I take my job of parenting a girl so seriously.

On days were I am leaving for work, I will take extra time and hug her an extra amount of time or allow her to wear my necklace to preschool. I let her crawl in the bed with me and “talk my ear off” about everything Preschool. But most importantly I spend time with her–quality time. We go and get pedicures together, we go to the mall and shop together and late at night we sit and read to one another. In 15 years I want my daughter to understand that women like the “girls” on reality shows are not mean to be role models, but are meant to be models of what not to do.

So tonight as I put her to bed, I hug her tight, say a prayer for her and pray that her role model might be Condeeleza Rice, Oprah Winfrey, Michelle Obama or me, her loving mom!

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed “runnergirl”. Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed "runnergirl". Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Whose Your Role Model? Hopefully Not These Women

1. glossedmimi says:

The fact that some people will not see an issue with this is really the problem.

I guess that is the route that entertainment has taken and what it is portraying to our children.

I am seriously at the point of not letting my children watch regular television. If it isn't educational at this point then I don't want them watching it. I can't believe this is the actual headline on this magazine. I'm done.
    My recent post They Think They Know But…….

• You are so right chica! No TV in this house!

• angrysweetheartfmbk says:

U ladies r so right .But, what's sad is that kandi is being judge along said these woman for what they have done is wrong . Kandi is a smart business woman and came on reality T.v to show a different light and got sucked into the catty ways of other alley cats. Kandi is a role model for some and the other 3 r still trying to get there toes wet by man . google kandi u will see what i see in her she is a force and a light . I wish woman would stop acting like they dont get angry and dont blow up. Have ur friends video type u and see how u look.

2. bklynactivemama says:

In my humble opinion, VIBE has gone down the tubes over the years when I was younger i used to SAVE my vibes thats how much I loved them

Now however, I think they realize how much of a "non-factor" (had to use an ev reference!) they are and thats why they are publishing this nonsense on the cover of their magazine! I mean…really…TAMAR? I got love for tamar, but she is no role model of mine, not even close.
    My recent post Bullying & The Rumored Basketball Wives Demise

3. kita says:

Really role models excuse me while I laugh. I am so glad some of us have sense to know that real role models don't throw drinks at people, or take people purses, or downgrade others for the sake of themselves.

4. kathy says:

Trust an believe these women are not my role model and should be anybodys role model. I love me some tamara and i think kandi a boss with the way she makes money on her own. But the Evelyn is the worst creature that appear on tv.
    My recent post Running out of Post Titles

5. Rosesdaughter says:

I saw this cover and couldn’t believe my eyes. SMH. If these are the role models for our kids, no wonder I see do many 15 and 16 year olds knocked up and not having a CLUE of what life is really like beyond reality TV. Pookah watches PBS and Nick Jr. And it’s going to stay that way for a loooong time.

• You are so right..In all honesty my kids can't watch Disney because of the kissing. I let my oldest son (whose almost 12) watch it in small volumes but my toddlers..HECK NO!

6. TheProDiva says:

Ok, so now I'm throwing up in mouth as well. Role Models?!! Are you kidding me Vibe! I stopped reading Vibe magazine a few years back because I hated the direction it was going it. This cover confirms that I made the right decision and that I am not missing much. As an educated black woman, I am actually offended that these women have been labeled as role models. It is a perfect indication of one of the major issues in our neighborhoods. It gives the impression that rachet and ignorant behavior is appropriate and admirable. It also highlights that we as a society value underdressed women more so than a woman in a business suit, which is downright appalling. We really need to do better. What happened to real role models, like Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, and countless other women who have succeeded without fighting on television or stripping down to their underwear? Not sexy enough for Vibe? Umm…..do better!
    My recent post Martini Break…Sydney Edition!!!