Please, Natural Hair Nazis Take a Seat!

I love being able to jump in the show, run a couple of miles or sit out in the sun without worrying about my hair ‘shrinking up’ and ‘ruining my style’.  You see my hair (in it’s natural state) is curly, kinky and fabulous! Four  years ago I made a decision to go natural. I was tired of my hair ‘breaking off’ and not growing so I decided to be drastic- I stopped getting relaxers. The majority of my family and friends thought I was crazy- they even tried to persuade me to wear my hair straight so that I could look ‘professional’. Needless to say I showed then when in a year’s time not only did I have a new job but my hair was longer than their hair!

So with all of the great things that I’ve gotten to experience because my hair is natural, there are still things that make me want to ‘fly off the handle’- mainly natural hair Nazis that try to tell me what I have to do to be natural. Before I go any further let me tell what exactly is a natural hair nazi.

Natural Hair Nazi- (n)- a person who wears their hair natural and attempts to tell others what other naturals can/cannot do with their hair. They routinely go on social media and question if someone is really natural.

You see occasionally I wear my hair straight.  According to the natural hair Nazis, this is a violation in the rules of wearing your hair natural. Occasionally I get color in my hair. According to the natural hair Nazis, this is a violation.  I’m here today to tell every person who wears their hair natural but who attempts to put perimeters on what defines being a natural, needs to take a seat.

That’s right. Sit down and be quiet. Being natural is just what the word means- a person without a relaxer (chemicals) in their hair.  Women don’t have to wear their hair in an afro to get called natural. Women can wear their hair straight and be considered natural.  Women can get their hair braided and wear weaves and still be natural. Being natural is not a club that requires a membership that can be revoked by these card touting mean girls.

So what do you do if you’re experiencing natural hair Nazis in your journey to be transition to being natural?

Follow these four steps to regain your sanity and deal with these ‘dream killers’.

1. Stop defending why you’re natural.
  2. Be happy with the decision you’ve made.
  3. Understand that not everyone will be supportive.
  4. Tell these Nazis to take a seat.

In the end, being natural was a decision that I am so glad I made. It may be difficult (at times) but my hair has thanked my by growing double the length. Now have you dealt with these people in your natural hair journey?

Powered By DT Author Box

Written by BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed “runnergirl”. Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About BossyGirl1980

Here I am 32 and accidentally a mother of three, naturalista, wife, business woman, budding socialite and self proclaimed "runnergirl". Follow me on my journey of living the fab life while trying to maintain my sanity. In 2010 I lost over 30 pounds by embracing exercise and running as a pastime. This is your place for everything it takes to be a BossyGirl .
This entry was posted in Featured, Natural Hair. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Please, Natural Hair Nazis Take a Seat!

1. @TheProDiva says:

So funny that you mention the NHNs…unlike you, who does not have a relaxer, I have made the conscious decision to continue relaxing my hair. In my experience the NHNs have constantly berated me for my decision. They give me reasons beyond reasons as to why I should forego the creamy crack. I always tell them to have several seats and mind their business. After all, it is my hair! I think you should be entitled to do whatever you want to do to your hair without encountering the wrath of the NHNs, so good for you!
    My recent post Bright Lipstick In The Office…Yay or Nay?

2. ChaChanna says:

I've been growing my locs for six years and much like you, when I started my locs my family was not pleased at all but they've grown to like it. I must admit I am fascinated by this term NH. I've never heard of it before. People always want to have something to say.

3. OnlyLaila says:

LOL. I hear you, I have had some run-ins with women who feel the need to police how I wear my hair. I've been natural for almost 8 years and have worn my hair in every style it is. Unless someone is going to personally come and do my hair, they can have several seats! :-)

4. @powermommy says:

THIS. Love that you tell them to take a seat. LOL! The opposite side of the spectrum is when natural hair women talk down to those of us who still get relaxers. Being natural is not for everyone, me included. I love to see my sisters rocking it!

5. Jordan says:

But why is this so the truth! I go on some of the Natural Hair sites and read the posts…oh my goodness-some of the comments are so vicious and hurtful! My definition of natural is the SAME as you…no chemicals- relaxers in your hair. By some peoples standards my little bit of color and the fact that 3 times a year i like to blow it out makes me not natural. And no, that just ain't true! yup tell those NHN have seveeeral _ lol
    My recent post HIIT at Home – 1

6. Thank you for being considerate enough to think of others. We never know who needs what. I enjoyed reading your article. I've been natural for 15 yrs; I was natural right out of High School and love it. Such an awesome attitude to be who YOU are.

7. Chasing Joy says:

I think it's no ones business what you do with your hair. When I think of natural I think relaxer free. But I used to think that natural mean without any chemicals including dye. But in general I really don't care. :-) I like my hair relaxed, some like their hair un-relaxed, some like their hair dyed, and some no dye. It's all good as long as the owner/wearer of said hair is happy with it.

8. Yayama03 says:

I wear my my fro as chemical free but according to those haters when I get a sew-in because I need to change the style up top , guess I'm breaking some kind of rules. If don't spent gobs of money buying all those special products that are featured on those for natural hair then I guess all my daughters thick curly kinky coily hair will fall out. I can not afford those for 4 head of thick hair in this plus shipping so pass me the old school products that work and new schools old I can make in my home. Until haters can float me a hair grant, I will wear a weave, fro, twist, added kinky twist ponytails,and grease shine flat iron.

9. christen tenort says:

Well, I haven't posted on here in a while.hello! SO, I'm thinking about starting my own mixtures of products for me and my daughter's hair. I'll be mixing differnt natural/mineral oils for our scalp and I will continue to use out shampoo and conditioners, plus add in a new moisterizer/curl pudding. I want our hair to be like Freddie's from 'A Different World'. What ya think?

10. thehouseful says:

Not just a seat. But a stadium of seats. Thank ya! LOL!
    My recent post Chicago Auto Show – Media Preview